The Five Elements (Vastu Shastra)
According to Vastu, the cosmos is full of beneficial energies which we must learn to tack as well as keep in balance if we wish to experience a state of well-being. Energy is essentially emanated by two forces- the five elements and the electro-magnetic energy generated by the rotation of earth.
Earth is a third planet among the nine planets and the only place where life exist due to the presence of Panchbhootas. Sun, air and space are universally available and can be molded in accordance with human needs by the act of design. To thoroughly understand the act of design with these five elements we need to discuss all these elements briefly in a separate manner:
1) Earth- The first and foremost element of nature which exerts maximum energy. It is necessary to consult the land you are purchasing, as plot’s soil, area everything matters in Vastu.
The selection of site is considered very important in Vastu element. A detailed inspection of soil, plot, site, shape and size has to be done before commencing the construction. Earth (prithvi) is the most important element in Vastu and influence human beings lives in every way.
2) Water- Water (jal) is present on earth in the form of rain, ocean, sea and rivers. It is the second foremost element considered in Vastu. Vastu provides proper directions for the placement of water sources.
Water is an element of north-east. As far as the flow of domestic water is concerned, it should be drained out of north-east only. The water bodies such as swimming pool and aquarium etc need to be made in north-east, this direction is auspicious and suitable for water.
3) Fire- Fire (agni) is considered as an element of south-east. In the house kitchen fire or electrical gadgets shall be place in south east. Light is the essence of life, and sun is the natural light giver.
Fire is the basis of all sources of energy including thermal power and atomic power. There should be proper ventilation for sunlight being necessary and natural source of light for human beings.
4) Air- Air (vayu) is a necessary thing for all of us living on this earth. In Vastu air is another important element which is considered before applying it. Air is an element of north-east. Air consists of various gases on earth like oxygen, nitrogen, helium, carbon dioxide etc.
A balanced percentage of different gases, atmospheric pressure and humidity level are important for living beings on this earth. There are important directions for windows and doors in Vastu so as to receive a good amount of air.
5) Space- Sky is never ending and our space is full of constellations, galaxies, star, moon, sun and all the nine planets. It is also called universe which is known as ‘brahamand’- the place of god. Space has a very important place in our lives and Vastu gives different directions for better space.
Indian houses used to have open space in the centre of the house. Akash is a brahmas than which should be an open place; any disturbance related to space in house would lead to detrimental results.